Mold is found all in all parts of our lives.  Most molds are not hazardous to healthy people.  However, too much exposure to certain molds may cause or worsen conditions such as asthma, hay fever, and allergies.  It is important to remember that these symptoms may not be caused by mold in the home, but possibly by another underlying health condition.  The health department encourages individuals experiencing respiratory or physical ailments to contact their physician to determine if mold or other health issues may be the underlying cause of your family members symptoms.

Currently, there are no EPA, State, or local regulations or standards for airborne mold contaminants. However, there are standards regarding plumbing, drainage, and other defects that may be causing mold in the home. To learn more about mold visit the Environmental Protection Agency Mold and Moisture webpage.

What to do for a mold problem

The best way to treat mold is to correct the underlying cause of the mold, so that the mold does not return.  Typically, mold grows in moist environments, and is often caused by water damage, leaking plumbing, poor ventilation, condensation, high humidity, etc. If you suspect that you have excess moisture or mold in your home or apartment visit the EPA's "A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home" for information about how to identify, remove, and correct conditions that may be causing mold in your home, apartment, or business.

Indoor Air Quality Testing

You may also download and print our list of indoor air quality testing companies for Southern Indiana.  This list is provided as a public service, however, the Clark County Health Department does not in anyway endorse or recommend any company or any service provided by any company.  In addition, testing can be cost prohibitive and focusing resources on removing mold and correcting their causes could be a better investment.
 

Additional Information

 

Promoting a Safe and Healthy Community for the People of Clark County Indiana